Tools You Will Need to Easily and Economically Make Homemade Baby Food
Most new parents spend tons of cash on buying readymade baby food; assuming that the kind of nutrients and benefits these off the shelf foods are able to give their infant cannot be gotten in any other way.
However, you will be surprised to know that baby food can easily be made at home as all you will require is some simple tools, most of which may already have in the kitchen already.
Read on through this comprehensive list of all the tools that you will require to easily and economically make your homemade baby food. Once you have managed to get these, just read up any of the following for step-by-step simple instructions on making and pureeing yummy stuff for the young one, all homemade all healthy with no preservatives at all
A cheatsheet to what each tool is used for:
Without investing in expensive equipment or a fancy baby food maker, you can get started on this DIY journey by collecting the following gadgets today.
- Food Processor or Blender- for the purpose of blending, mashing and pureeing
- Grinder - to puree small amounts of food or to prepare food quickly when on the go
- Stick Mixer-More or less serves the function of a grinder.
- Ice Trays or container for freezing– to freeze cubes of food
- Freezer Bags– for storage of the frozen food-cubes form the ice cube trays
- Colander or strainer– for draining and holding fruits and vegetable that are cooked or to be cooked
- Steamer Basket- for the purpose of steaming vegetable and fruits and softening them for a mash or puree
- Fine mesh or a small holed strainer – this will help add more texture to the food and make the puree fine and smooth, it comes real handy in separating the skin of peas and that of green beans from the actually puree
- Masher (potato masher) – as the baby grows, he or she can graduate to thicker and more chunky mashes. Such a texture can be easily got by using a Masher.
- Permanent Marker – a marker is used to label the freezer bags, to know exactly what is in what bag and when it was frozen and when it was prepared. So you know which bag to open first and which one later.
Voila! That’s it those are the only tools that you will require to easily and economically make your homemade baby food. Could life be any simpler than this, just arm yourself with these and get cracking on making yummy and nutritious meals for the baby that is surely way healthier than anything on the supermarket shelves.
List of the best Blenders to make baby food at home
One of the most handy tools that you will require to easily and economically make your homemade baby food is a blender, it will help blend mash or puree food to the perfect texture for your baby.
Here is a list of the few I recommend from my personal experience and that of some friends and family
- Oster Classic Beehive Blender - Comes with a glass food bowl and can blend anything in a jiffy.
- Oster 6684 12-Speed Blender - This Oster product has a glass jar too and comes with 12 speed options.
- The Magic Bullet – The Magic Bullet comes with a polycarbonate work bowl, and numerous useful add-ons.
- Vita-Mix 5200 -This super blender though a little expensive (~$449) comes with a food bowl made of Tritan Copolyester (BPA free).
List of the best food Processor to make baby food at home
If you are a frugal parent, then this is the tool for you. It multitasks really well and does a lot a blender cannot, like slicing vegetables, grinding grains, kneading dough and is great to make thick or fine puree as required by your baby.
Here is list of my personal favorites:
- Kitchen-Aid 3-c. Chef’s Chopper Mini Food Processor- A compact processor that is liked by many parents, this one has a food bowl made of polycarbonate.
- Cuisinart DLC-2A Mini Prep Plus– It’s a small and handy processor and is great to grind coffee and grains too. The food bowl is made of polycarbonate and a BPA free version is available in the 3 and 4 cups models.
- Cuisinart Premier Series Prep 11 Plus Food Processor– great to chop, mince oremulsify this Cuisinart product is a little expensive but worth every penny.
- KitchenAid 12-c. Food Processor- With a polycarbonate food bowl, this comes with a great multipurpose blade that will help with almost all your processing needs
- Hamilton Beach 70595-with a food bowl made of SAN this big-mouthed (14 cup) processer is really useful around any kitchen
List of the best Stick Mixers to make baby food at home
Stick mixers are every handy and great for on-the-go and quick meal preparations. They are especially super to make smoothies, sauces and dips. And what’s more, they are easy to store and clean too after you are done.
Some of the Stick Mixers that I recommend are:
- KitchenAid Stick Blender- an economical hand blender that quickly gets the job done. It comes with a stainless steel blending stick
- Cuisinart Stick/Immersion Hand-Blender –It also has a stainless-steel blending stick and it easy on the pocket too.
- Cuisinart Smart Stick Hand Blender –With a complete stainless steel finish, this one is a little more advance and it comes with add-ons to make food fluffy and chunky. It is great to whisk and chop too.
Instruction for proper use of these tools
Just remember not to overload any of the machines or equipments that you use to puree and the container basket must not be over stuffed and just be half full.
Also remember to add enough liquid to get the texture of the puree right. It is a good idea to read the instruction of the blender, hand mixer and the food processor in detail before beginning to use it.
Now that you know the tools that you will require to easily and economically make your homemade baby food, stop wasting crazy amounts of money in purchasing bottled and readymade stuff from the supermarket. Why would you go for that anyways, seeing as it is far less healthier than anything you prepare in your own kitchen. Trust me your baby will be happier too!