Drill Bit Set Fabrics and Finishes
The fabrics from which bits are made and the finishes used play a vital role in the performance and life of the bit. Common fabrics and finishes used include:
- Steel bits – work well in drilling softwood, but also drill fast in hardwood.
- Cobalt bits – work well in drilling aluminum and other tough metals.
- High-speed steel (HSS) bits – work well in drilling PVC, soft metals, fiberglass, and wood.
- Titanium coated HSS bits – work well for drilling PVC, fiberglass, metal, and wood.
- Black oxide-coated HSS bits – work well in drilling metal, softwood, PVC, fiberglass, and hardwood.
- Carbide-tipped bits – work well in drilling masonry and tile.
Those are some of the main materials that are used to make a drill. Next, let us look at how to select the perfect drill bits (types of drill bits).